A lot of people arm themselves to protect their family and property. But with so many home protection guns, how to you choose what is best for you? Here are a few popular choices.
- Mossberg 500/590 and the Remington 870 – There is a common agreement that a shotgun is the best firearm to defend the family and the home. A shotgun is devastating when fired at close range. The sound of a shotgun’s pump racking may be enough to scare intruders away. Shotguns, including ammunition, are relatively cheap, enabling the owner to engage in practice shooting without spending too much money. The Mossberg 500/590 and the Remington 870 are good quality and economical shotguns. They can serve you well in terms of defending your family and property.
- Glock 17/19 – Glock 9mm pistols are simple to use. Their stopping power is great, recoil is minimal, and capacity is reasonable. One can easily train shooting with a Glock 9mm pistol because of the availability of low cost ammunition.
- Smith & Wesson 686 or Ruger GP 100 – Revolvers are simpler to use and can be more reliable than other handguns. Revolvers are the recommended firearms for relatively inexperienced user who do not like to fiddle with complex semi-automatics.
- Smith & Wesson Governor or Taurus Judge – The shotgun pistol is an intriguing piece of hardware for home defense. The Judge revolver from Taurus was the first incarnation of this type of handgun. The Judge is chambered in .410 Bore and .45 Long Colt. The Governor from Smith & Wesson is comparable firearm from an alternative manufacturer.
- AR-15 – Multiple intruders now perpetrate most home invasions. If you are defending your home against three or four intruders, your shotgun or handgun may be insufficient. You will need a semi-automatic rifle. A semi-automatic rifle like the AR-15 gives you larger capacity and more stopping power than a handgun.